Monhegan Birding Adventure (Spring 2023)
May 22 @ 2:00 pm - May 26 @ 2:00 pm$1500 – $2800
Join us for a 5-day, 4-night guided birding & nature tour on Maine’s hotspot for spring bird migration – Monhegan Island.
Dates: Monday, May 22nd through Friday, May 26th, 2023
- Times: Departure – meeting at 2pm on Monday, May 22nd at Monhegan Boat Lines in Port Clyde, Maine. We will be returning to Port Clyde by 2pm on Friday, May 26th.
Cancellation policy (please read carefully)
- Cancellations prior to April 20th get a full refund minus a $125 admin fee.
- Cancellations between April 21-May 5th get a 50% refund.
- Cancellations after May 5th receive no refund or credit as we’re unable to recoup losses on lodging, meals and transport.
The Place: Birders are enchanted by the joy and beauty of spring bird migration on Monhegan Island. The chance to see upwards of 20 species of warblers – many singing and at eye level in the blooming apple trees – is one reason why. Coupled with dozens of other neotropical species such as tanagers, orioles, buntings, and more, a good birding day on Monhegan may give you the impression you have gone to birding heaven! This charming and rugged island is inhabited, yet wild. It has drawn artists and lobstermen, and during the few short weeks of peak migration, it is a migrant trap for birders, too. Both fish and bird stories are swapped each evening at the local brewery or over a spectacular sunset. Our group will explore and wander in search of birds and the island’s natural beauty. Some hikes traverse varied terrain, but all walks are optional, and the best birding is in the village.
The Accommodations: Our group will be staying at the historic Monhegan House – located in the center of the village. The Monhegan house is quite comfortable while retaining rustic charm. Please note that all rooms utilize shared bathrooms and require climbing at least one flight of stairs.
Meals: Each day, as part of our stay at the Monhegan House, we will be served a delicious, full breakfast and dinner in the dining room. Lunches are not included in your fee. There are usually a few options open for lunch options on the island each day.
The Guides: Having two skilled guides is unusual on most birding tours. With a max group size of 12 clients, you’re guaranteed ample personal attention and customized learning.
- Phil Brown is a lifelong bird enthusiast and stellar naturalist who has traveled extensively to study and appreciate birds and natural places, but equally enjoys exploring close to home. With many Monhegan trips under his belt (both spring & fall), Phil is a patient, gentle and extremely knowledgeable teacher with an eye and ear for birds like very few others. He is the Bird Conservation Director and Land Specialist for the Harris Center for Conservation Education in Hancock, New Hampshire. Phil resides in Hancock, NH with his family.
- Dan Gardoqui has been teaching, guiding, playing and learning from the more-than-human-world for 30+ years. Known for his passionate teaching style and bird mimicry skills, Dan welcomes curiosity and questions to facilitate deep nature connection in his fellow humans. He’s excited to return to Monhegan with Phil again this spring and discover more hidden secrets! Dan’s certifications include: Registered Maine Guide, Wilderness First Aid and Certified Wildlife Tracker. He lives with his family in the Agamenticus region of southern Maine.