NEW! Winter Wings is a seasonal birding apprenticeship for adults (& interested teens) looking to dive deep into the world of birds in winter. Winter birding is magical (and underrated!). Crisp cool air and skies, stunning landscapes and no biting insects make for a great learning environment. Adults can sign up for four consecutive monthly sessions* to build upon knowledge and experience gained in the field with a professional bird guide. Each session includes 8 hours of quality field time with a seasoned mentor. Group size will be limited to allow for personal attention.
Topics Covered will Include:
- Identification & Behavior: winter-specific identification basics & pro tips for tricky non-breeding plumages.
- Bird Language: learn how to detect and interpret interspecies communication.
- Bird Family Studies: winter is great for studying sea duck, sparrow, gulls and finch families.
- Migration & Seasonality: learn about wintering habitats, irruptive species, resident birds and migrants.
- Ecology: understanding how birds are connected to larger ecosystems and specific habitats.
- Bird Advocacy: actions we can take to protect and conserve bird populations and species.
- Bird-Finding: learn about where to go and how to find both common and unusual birds.
- Bird Tracks & Sign: we’ll learn about birds’ lives via the spoor they leave behind
Dates & Locations
- December 9th – Coastal York County, Maine (may include: Kittery, York, Ogunquit, Kennebunk, Wells or Biddeford Pool).
- January 13th – Parker River National Wildlife Refuge (Plum Island) & the Winter Crow Roost in Lawrence, Massachusetts.
- February 3rd – NH/ME Seacoast (Rye, Portsmouth, Seabrook & Hampton, NH and York, Kittery, Ogunquit, ME).
- March 16th – White Mountain National Forest (New Hampshire & Maine – Location TBD).
(*can’t do all four? No problem – you can sign-up for and single Saturday session as well)
Timing: December, February and March 8am-4pm. January 10am-6pm.
Cost: $495 for all four sessions (or $125 per session)
Your Guide: Dan Gardoqui is a seasoned mentor, skilled birder and engaging guide. He encourages curiosity and humility while creating an inclusive place to explore and learn from more-than-human-world.